Miami Alimony and Child Support Enforcement Attorneys

Respected Miami Alimony and Child Support Enforcement Lawyers

Divorce is a complicated issue, even after the court grants the divorce and awards custody, child support, or alimony. The Florida Department of Revenue manages the Child Support Program. Other government agencies may become involved in cases where a person refuses to follow the court's orders. Unfortunately, a non-compliant ex-spouse can drag out the conflict much longer while you and your children try to rebuild your lives following your divorce.

At Miami Family Law Group, PLLC, we have over 30 years of combined experience in family law, divorce, alimony, and child support enforcement in Miami. We can help you hold your former spouse in contempt of the court's support orders. Contact us today to schedule a strategy session.

Examples of Non-Compliance Following a Florida Divorce

Depending on the divorce agreement with your ex-spouse, they could be non-compliant if they fail to adhere to certain support orders, including:

  • Failing to pay alimony or falling behind on alimony payments
  • Failing to pay child support or falling behind on child support payments
  • Failing to maintain the time-sharing agreement with the custodial parent
  • Failing to transfer property titles as ordered by the court

Enforcement of Alimony Support Orders in Florida

While alimony (also called maintenance or spousal support) is not a means of punishment for a marriage ending, many higher-earning ex-spouses may see it that way. What spousal support really does is help the lower-earning party to adjust so they can live independently at the same standard of living to which they became accustomed during the marriage.

If you and your former spouse agreed to alimony, and the court approved specific support orders, you can pursue alimony that is in arrears (behind on payments owed) with the help of a knowledgeable and experienced alimony enforcement attorney. At Miami Family Law Group, PLLC, we can help you pursue missed alimony payments in arrears from your former spouse by filing charges of contempt.

Enforcement of Child Support Services in Florida

The Child Support Act of 1984 allows parents to collect child support with help from state attorneys. Your state attorney may pursue alternate methods of payment from a non-compliant child support payor, including garnishing wages, appropriating federal tax refunds, seizing assets or property, suspending occupational or business licenses, or revoking a driver's license.

A state attorney may go as far as threatening jail time for contempt of court by non-payment, although the court recognizes that a delinquent payor will not have the opportunity to earn an income in jail, and imprisonment could cause them to fall further into arrears.

If a parent in arrears moves to another state, an experienced child support enforcement attorney can help you pursue continued payments through the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).

Parents who experience situational changes that affect their ability to pay child support, such as losing a job or experiencing a sudden medical emergency, should file with the court immediately for a reduction or stay of child support. Petitioning the court for an alteration of your child support agreement will not affect any past-due balance.

Legal Child Custody and Child Support in Florida

If you already pay child support and win joint legal custody of your child, it will not affect your child support agreement. Legal custody is a separate issue that affects your ability to share in the decision-making process for things like medical care, religious upbringing, education, and extracurricular activities for your child.

The basis for child support depends on the financial contributions of each parent, the income of each parent, and the time spent with the child by each parent. The court may consider alterations to your child support agreement with your former spouse if both parents agree to alterations in physical custody and time sharing agreements.

What if My Ex Keeps Me From Seeing My Children?

If you pay child support, but your ex keeps you from seeing your children according to your time-sharing agreement, you must still pay your child support obligations. Child support is a separate legal issue from physical custody or time-sharing.

The appropriate course of action is to have your enforcement attorney petition the court to enforce your rights for visitation with your children while you maintain your child support payments.

Contact Our Miami, Florida Post-Divorce Enforcement Lawyers

If your ex-spouse has not met their legal obligations following your divorce, Miami Family Law Group, PLLC can help you determine the best ways to address this situation. We can work with you to make sure your ex shares child custody correctly or pays support as required. To learn more about how we can help you address these issues, contact us at 305-520-7874 and set up an appointment with our attorneys.

Contact Miami Family Law Group, PLLC

Our attorneys are ready to help address your legal needs. Schedule an appointment by calling 305-520-7874 or contacting us online.

Back to Top